If you are in the First Energy service area, they offer a $500 utility rebate. This incentive along with a $3,000 Maryland Clean Energy Grant reduces the price differential between a traditional heat pump or gas furnace.
In 2007 Lancaster Craftsmen Builders installed ground source heap pumps (GSHP) to our office in Middletown. Along with measures to better insulate the property and the addition of solar panels in early 2012 our office is now beyond net zero.
A GSHP system can be installed in a residential structure of any size, anywhere, whether it is single-family or multi-family. GSHPs can be installed on almost any size lot: under lawns, landscaped areas, driveways, or the house itself. An existing house can be retrofitted with a GSHP using the ductwork that is already there.
The Department of Energy (DOE) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) have both endorsed ground source heat pump systems as among the most energy efficient and environmentally friendly heating, cooling, and water heating systems available. In a 1993 report, the EPA concluded that geothermal technologies represent a major opportunity for reducing national energy use and pollution, while delivering comfort, reliability and savings to homeowners.
Ground Source Heat Pumps offer great benefits:
* Can be a combination heating/cooling and hot water heating system
* Some can save you up to 50% on your water-heating bill by preheating tank
* Made of mechanical components that are either buried in the ground or
located inside the home
* About the same size as a traditional heating/cooling unit
* Pipe carries up to a 50-year warranty
* Can cut energy consumption by 20% to 50% and reduce maintenance costs
* Keep the air warmer in the winter (90 -105¡ F) and at a more consistent
temperature throughout the home, eliminating the hot and cold spots common with other systems
* Very quiet, providing a pleasant environment inside & outside the home
* No noisy fan units to disturb outdoor activities
* No exposed equipment outdoors; children or pets cannot injure themselves
or damage exterior units
* No open flame, flammable fuel or potentially dangerous fuel storage tanks
GSHPs offer great savings:
* One of the most efficient residential heating and cooling systems available today
* Heating efficiencies 50 to 70% higher than other heating systems and cooling
efficiencies 20% to 40% higher than available air conditioners
* Save money in operating and maintenance costs
* Investments recouped in only a few years
* Positive cash flow; energy savings usually exceed the cost of the system
GSHPs are environmentally friendly:
* Conserve natural resources by providing climate control efficiently and thus lowering emissions
* Minimize ozone layer destruction by using factory-sealed refrigeration systems, which will seldom or never have to be recharged
* Uses underground loops to transfer heat, with no external venting and no air pollution